Bad Breath & Your Dental Health
Kucey Dental Group, serving patients from Camrose and beyond, works to make sure our clients know how to take care of their oral health, including understanding what to do in cases of halitosis or oral infection. Learn more about these topics on the page below, and you can also contact us with questions or to schedule an appointment.
Infection Under the Gumline
Periodontal disease is a serious infection under your gumline. Gingivitis and periodontitis are oral infections that can be linked to systemic, or body health. Bleeding and inflammation in the mouth opens the way for oral bacteria to enter the bloodstream and spread throughout the body. Even in mouths without signs of gum disease, anaerobic bacteria can grow out of control changing the normal balance. This results in bad-smelling gases and a condition of persistent halitosis (bad breath). Unless appropriate treatments are used, these bacteria can release chemical byproducts that break down oral tissues, gaining access to the bloodstream and the entire body.
The Oravital® System
The Oravital® System is a non-invasive system used for the adjunctive treatment of periodontal disease and halitosis (bad breath). Following examination of your gums for bleeding and for pockets, the biofilm in the mouth must be checked for harmful bacteria. Once the infection is treated, the mouth begins to heal and the systems will decrease.
We have 5 steps to this system:
- Screening for visible dental problems including samples of bacteria obtained from the tongue, throat and teeth which are sent for microbiological analysis to identify the types, locations and levels of oral bacteria. The report which is created will guid us in the individualized treatment and maintenance of the infection.
- Treatment consists of targeting the bacteria causing the infection with short-term antibiotic topical rinses to reduce harmful bacteria and restore microbial balance.
- Re-evaluation following a 2 week treatment to check for any remaining harmful bacteria.
- Specific medications will be prescribed for maintenance of your improved health.
- Re-testing will be done once a year to check that bacteria are in balance. Re-treatment may be necessary to maintain optimal health.